Pages

Jan 11, 2012

Manila

photo credit to en.wikipedia.org
Having lived in Metro Manila (Pasay in particular) for more than five years I think I have something to say about it. A lot of people equate Manila with heavy traffic, dirty streets, Tondo squatters, hold-uppers, snatchers, etc..etc and etc..Well I don’t blame them. I myself have been pissed off (and that’s an understatement) with a lot of not so good things in Manila.

One night I was a victim of snatchers while walking along the street of Harrison, Pasay. Two motorcycle-riding men, one grabbed my purse and they went off. Just like that, my wallet and phone were gone. The snatcher even used my phone the next day! I knew coz I called my number the following day. I suspected he used my phone and my sim to call or text my friends, family or relatives whose phone numbers are booked in order to ploy and get some money out of them. See...what the…

Ok I will not go on telling horrible stories in Manila (because it is too many to mention). Terrible as it is, I still think it is unfair to judge Manila based on those awful experiences. What I can advise to those who want to go there is to really be VIGILANT, WATCHFUL, ALERT, WARY, OBSERVANT,..(I think these words are of the same meaning) Seriously, I can’t say it enough. Never ever be oblivious of anybody's presence especially of the people you don't know.

There are many things you can do in Metro Manila. Let me count the ways…

  1. Sightseeing in Intramuros (Manila)-This is a must when you are in Manila. Entrance in Fort Santiago (which is part of Intramuros and is worth visiting) is 75.00Php only (that was 2010).If you have the budget, better join Carlos Celdran’s tour about the history of Manila. I heard he is a very good tourist guide. He will tell you an interesting and unbiased history about Manila in an ecstatic and witty manner. You may inquire him in his blogsite celdrantours.blogspot.com.
  2. Bar hopping in Makati, Ortigas or Quezon City
  3. Sightseeing in Manila Ocean Park (Manila) - I haven't done this what a shame.
  4. Picnic in Luneta Park (Manila)
  5. Shopping, eating, malling  in MOA (Pasay City)...There are many big shopping malls in Manila. I just think MOA is worth included in the list because it is an all-in-one shopping/dinning/sightseeing (Manila bay that is)…can I include exercising? Coz it’s so huge, you’ll get tired roaming around.
  6. Shopping in Baclaran (border of Pasay and  ParaƱaque ) – There are many dirt cheap gorgeous items (to many to mention) sold here everyday 24/7! I prefer to shop here at night or at early morning because of the weather. It’s too hot in the daytime.
  7. Wandering in Makati- We all know Makati is the business capital of the Philippines. But it’s more than just that. There’s something endearing  in Makati and it’s not because I used to work here. I don’t know if it’s just me or if it’s just me (confused? me too).Seriously, I love the small specialty shops/restaurants (pastry shops, Filipino merienda shop, pizza parlors, Big Brothers Burger ,Krispy Kreme, coffee shops, etc..) along the streets of Makati. I love how generally clean the streets are. I love walking around Ayala Triangle or Greenbelt park enjoying the art of doing nothing. How I miss Makati.
  8. Shopping in Divisoria (Manila)- Just like Baclaran, it offers dirt cheap prices in variety of goods sold here.
  9. Eating in Binondo (Manila) - There are many Chinese restaurants here that offer affordable mouth-watering Chinese cuisine.
There are just so many things you can do in Manila that's it for now. I can’t count all the ways...

This is just based on my observations and research. I know there are so many wonderful things you can do or see. I am not in any way pretending to be an expert in Manila. There are a lot of enjoyable things that I have not experience there.
Again to those who will go on vacation in Manila, be very cautious and never trust anybody especially when it involves money.
For me Manila is still beautiful. And I miss being there. I will be there soon.

I will leave you with what Carlos Celdran has said “ You cannot change how Manila looks, but you can change how you look at Manila”. Clever. I love this man and all his endeavors.

TCB

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...